Every year, Arkansas’ leading tobacco and lung cancer control advocates present this powerful one-day symposium. The Fifth Annual Lung Cancer Symposium will feature outstanding topics for a multidisciplinary audience related to tobacco prevention and cessation among individual patients and communities, treatment options for lung cancer patients, new and threatening products from the tobacco industry and a legislative update. Components this year include:
- Live testimonial featuring the family of the late Joe Pack
- Motivational interviewing using four live, simulated tobacco patients
- Updates on types of lung cancer and treatment options for patients
- Case-based presentations on second opinions for cancer patients
- Reviewing sample cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, hookah, e-cigarettes and others
- The latest updates on e-cigarette products and trends
- Poster sessions displaying advances in evidence-based practices in tobacco and lung cancer.
- Presentation of the David Bourne Award
- Networking with colleagues from all over the state
- Legislative updates on tobacco control efforts
- An ethical approach to palliative and End-of-Life care
- Women and COPD
- Continuing Education Units.
Learning will be enhanced through group discussions, hands-on discussions, panels and team-based approaches with content relevant for clinicians, health care providers, community advocates, legislators, patients, families and students.